George Pollitt, first regidor of the ayuntamiento of Nacogdoches, was probably born in Maryland in 1797. He moved to Nacogdoches before 1826 and applied for Mexican citizenship in 1827. The 1830 Nacogdoches census lists him as a single man, age thirty-five, a tanner by profession. Other records indicate that he was married to a woman named Martha and had two children when he arrived in Texas. He bought the mercantile houses of Thomas F. McKinney in 1830. On April 10, 1835, Pollitt received title to twelve labors, and on September 10, 1835, he received title to eleven leagues. The first grant was in territory that later became part of Nacogdoches County, the second in what became Upshur County. Pollitt became the first regidor of Nacogdoches in 1836. The 1840 census shows him as owner of half a town lot and 1,476 acres, and as guardian of another 1,476 acres for Edgar Pollitt. Pollitt was a Presbyterian. After the Texas Revolution he sold his mercantile business, and in August 1840 he sold his tanyard and his home to Frost Thorn. N. Adolphus Sterne recorded in his diary in November 1840 that he "had heard that George Pollitt had died."