Polonia, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: September 1, 1995


Polonia was a small rural community located five miles northwest of Lockhart in northwestern Caldwell County. The area was settled in the second half of the nineteenth century by a group of Polish immigrants. At one point the community had a church, two schools, a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, and a general store. County highway maps of the area in the late 1940s showed a school, a church, and a few scattered houses at the site. The school was consolidated with the Lockhart Independent School District in 1949. No population estimates were available, and only the cemetery marked the site on county highway maps in the 1980s.

Mark Withers Trail Drive Museum, Historical Caldwell County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Poles
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Polonia, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/polonia-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995

Place
Polonia
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1344332
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Caldwell County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.94021980°
  • Longitude: -97.70527850°