Pond Springs, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: June 1, 1995


Pond Springs (Pond Spring) was at the intersection of present Farm Road 620 and U.S. Highway 183, on Live Oak Prairie nine miles southwest of Round Rock in southwest Williamson County. It was settled in the early 1850s and named for a nearby spring that formed a pond. A log schoolhouse was already on the site when, around 1854, the Rutledge family opened a store-post office and a blacksmith shop. A road and stage line ran past Rutledge's store, and the community was sometimes called Rutledge. The Pond Springs post office operated until 1880. In 1882 the Austin and Northwestern Railroad bypassed the settlement, and a new community, called Rutledge or New Rutledge, was established to the northeast. The Pond Springs log school was moved to nearby Jollyville; in 1988 there was still a Pond Springs School in the area. Pond Springs disappeared after 1882. In the 1980s a Pond Springs housing development was started near the site of the old community. It was listed as a community in 1990.

Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Pond Springs, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pond-springs-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995

Place
Pond Spring
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Williamson County
Associated Names

-s

Pound Springs

Rutledge

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.45047850°
  • Longitude: -97.78528700°