Popher, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: September 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Popher was near the Angelina River 21½ miles southeast of Homer in eastern Angelina County. A post office served the settlement from 1890 to 1903. As late as the mid-1930s Popher still had a church and a sawmill. Much of the surrounding area was inundated after the completion of Sam Rayburn Reservoir in 1960, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained.

Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Popher, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/popher-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995

Loading