Port Acres is between State Highway 73 and Farm Road 365, west of downtown Port Arthur in eastern Jefferson County. The residential suburb, located near the El Vista Railroad stop, was platted in 1923 by the Tyrrell-Combest Company of Beaumont on land owned by J. M. Hebert. By 1949 Port Acres was estimated to have 1,500 residents. Although voters agreed to incorporate by a 578–180 margin in 1959, their town was soon annexed by the larger Port Arthur.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Robert Wooster, “Port Acres, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 31, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/port-acres-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.