Porter Springs, TX


By: Eliza H. Bishop

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 14, 2021


Porter Springs (Porter's Springs), at the junction of Farm roads 2967 and 132, ten miles southwest of Crockett in western Houston County, was settled just before the Civil War. A school was founded there around 1870, and the first church, the Bethlehem Baptist Church, was organized before 1877. A post office was established in 1895 and named for postmaster James McIntosh Porter. By 1896 Porter Springs had two churches, a general store, a public school, a cotton gin, a drugstore, and an estimated population of fifty. During the mid-1930s Porter Springs consisted of three churches, schools for Black students and for White, and several businesses; the estimated population in 1936 was fifty. After World War II the school was closed, but the population was reported at fifty through 1990. In the early 1990s Porter Springs was a dispersed rural community with three churches, a high school, an elementary school, a cemetery, and number of houses. The population remained the same in 2000.

Armistead Albert Aldrich, The History of Houston County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1943). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Eliza H. Bishop, “Porter Springs, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/porter-springs-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 14, 2021

Place
Porter Springs
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1365610
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Houston County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.27073650°
  • Longitude: -95.60911670°
Population Counts
People Year
50 2009