Posey is on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe line eleven miles southeast of Lubbock in southeastern Lubbock County. It was named for the family of Walter Samson Posey, who helped supply the right-of-way for the railroad. The community was founded by 1936, when it had twenty-five inhabitants and three businesses. In 1941 Posey consisted of a population of seventy, a church, a school, a grain elevator, and two businesses. The Posey school was consolidated with those of Slaton by the 1960s, and in 1975 the community had only a church and scattered dwellings. Posey reported a population of 120 from 1952 to 1973, and 125 from 1974 to 1992.