Post Oak, TX (Lamar County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: October 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Post Oak, also known as Gantt, is a rural community fifteen miles east of Paris on Farm Road 1502 in extreme eastern Lamar County. It was first settled after the Civil War and was originally known as Gantt. The name was later changed to Post Oak. A school was in operation by 1897, when it had fifty-four students. During the 1930s the town, locally known as a vegetable growing center, had a church, a school, and several stores; the estimated population in 1933 was twenty-five. The town's population continued to grow after World War II, reaching a peak of 120 in the mid-1960s, but in recent years all of the businesses have closed. In the early 1990s Post Oak was a dispersed community with a church, a cemetery, and a number of scattered houses.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Post Oak, TX (Lamar County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/post-oak-tx-lamar-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
October 1, 1995

Loading