Post West Bernard Station

By: Ray Spitzenberger

Type: General Entry

Published: October 1, 1995

The Republic of Texas established Post West Bernard Station in the summer of 1837 on the banks of West Bernard Creek, at a site now just off Farm Road 1161 between Hungerford and Spanish Camp in northeastern Wharton County. Archeological research by Joe D. Hudgins and Alton Briggs in 1982 definitely established the site at this location rather than the more northern location near Nottawa. The strategically located post fulfilled major ordnance needs for the Republic of Texas military before the completion of the Houston Arsenal in 1838. As late as April and May 1839 wagoneers made round trips, transporting ordnance between Houston and Post West Bernard. Ordnance department records indicate that most of the serviceable heavy ordnance was transported to Houston. Briggs concluded that the Army of the Republic of Texas was operating a repair facility at West Bernard. The significance of Post West Bernard is suggested by the fact that a medical officer, Thomas P. Anderson, was assigned to the garrison of five men. Living in the wilderness, five or six miles away from human habitation, having to carry his own wood and water and cook his own meals, and being forced to eat and sleep in the open air without shelter from the weather prompted Anderson to post a letter of resignation to Surgeon General Ashbel Smith in June 1838. Some of the artifact collections from the site are on exhibit at the Wharton County Museum in Wharton, Texas.

Randal B. Gilbert, "Arms for the Revolution and the Republic," Military History of Texas and the Southwest 9 (October 1971). Gerald S. Pierce, Texas Under Arms: The Camps, Posts, Forts, and Military Towns of the Republic of Texas (Austin: Encino, 1969).
  • Archeology
  • Land Sites

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Ray Spitzenberger, “Post West Bernard Station,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 14, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

October 1, 1995