Poth is at the junction of U.S. Highway 181 and Farm roads 427 and 541, seven miles southeast of Floresville in southeastern Wilson County. It was established in 1886 as a switch on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway. The community was first called Marcelina but was renamed Poth in 1901, when A. H. Poth established a gin there. John Francis Stortz opened a store at the community in 1900. A depot was built at Poth in 1906, and by 1914 the town had a lumberyard, a cotton gin, a bank, a furniture and hardware store, a blacksmith, three general stores, and a population of 250. The community's population was 300 in 1920 and 600 in 1947, when it also reported twenty-three businesses. By 1965 the population of Poth was 1,119, and in 1990 it was 1,642. The number of businesses reported there had declined, however, falling from thirty-five in the mid-1960s to thirteen in 1990. In 2000 the population was 1,850 with fifty businesses.