The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Support Texas History Now


Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.

Become a TSHA Member Today »

Prairie Point, TX (Burnet County)

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl General Entry

Prairie Point was four miles east of Bertram in eastern Burnet County, near the Williamson county line. A school, established in 1882, and a Baptist church, organized the following year, shared a building at Prairie Point and served as the primary focus of the community. The school closed in 1921, and area children began attending school in Bertram; the church continued in operation until 1957, at which time the building was sold. The church and a few scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in the 1940s, but by the 1980s nothing remained.

Darrell Debo, Burnet County History (2 vols., Burnet, Texas: Eakin, 1979).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Prairie Point, TX (Burnet County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed April 11, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/prairie-point-tx-burnet-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Loading