Prairie Point, TX (Cooke County)


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: January 26, 2018


Prairie Point is on Farm Road 922 twenty miles southwest of Gainesville and a mile east of the Montague county line in southwestern Cooke County. In the mid-1850s a schoolhouse was built on a hill that overlooked the surrounding prairie and provided the name for the community. In 1920 Prairie Point and nearby Rosston consolidated their schools and built a new building that is equidistant between the two communities; the area was called the Ross Point School District. In 1936 Prairie Point had a school, a factory, one business, and scattered dwellings. From the 1930s through the 1960s the population was estimated at twenty-five. By 1968 it had grown to thirty. In 1978 county maps showed that Prairie Point had a church and a number of scattered dwellings. In 1990 the population was still estimated at thirty, and in 2009 it was estimated at twenty-two.

Gainesville Daily Register, Centennial Edition, August 30, 1948. A. Morton Smith, The First 100 Years in Cooke County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1955).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Prairie Point, TX (Cooke County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/prairie-point-tx-cooke-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
January 26, 2018

Place
Prairie Point
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1382568
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cooke County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.49538730°
  • Longitude: -97.47446910°
Population Counts
People Year
22 2009