Price, TX (Rusk County)


By: Randall Morris and Rebecca Morris

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Price is eight miles west of Henderson in western Rusk County. The Rev. Joseph H. Price first organized a Methodist church there in 1852. In 1881 a post office was established under the name Carlysle (later Carlisle). It was discontinued in 1904. In 1940 Carlisle became Price when a new post office was established and named in honor of the J. M. Price family. During the 1940s the oil-refining industry began to play an important role in the local economy. Between 1950 and 1980 the town averaged 300 residents and five businesses. In 1988 and 1990 it had an estimated population of 275 and one business. The population remained the same in 2000.

Garland Roscoe Farmer, The Realm of Rusk County (Henderson, Texas: Henderson Times, 1951). Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Randall Morris and Rebecca Morris, “Price, TX (Rusk County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 06, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/price-tx-rusk-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Price
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1344553
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Rusk County
Associated Names

Carlisle

Reagan

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.13404920°
  • Longitude: -94.94299490°
Population Counts
People Year
275 2009