Price's Creek, TX


By: Craig H. Roell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


The Price's Creek settlement was established on Price's Creek in southwestern DeWitt County near the Victoria county line by David Murphree and David Power in 1848. Other families then settled there, and though the farming community had no stores it supported a school, a horse-driven cotton gin, and a Sunday school. A post office operated from April 1854 until October 1866, was reestablished in February 1869, and closed in November 1877. Slaves contributed labor to the local economy, which was based on stock raising and cotton production. When the Gulf, Western Texas and Pacific Railway extended its line through the area in 1872, the county's first depot was established nearby and called Thomaston; Price's Creek was merged with Thomaston.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Craig H. Roell, “Price's Creek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/prices-creek-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Price's Creek
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Associated Names

Thomaston

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.96970440°
  • Longitude: -97.15887780°