Pride, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Pride is on Farm Road 2053, fifteen miles northwest of Lamesa and two miles south of the Lynn-Terry county line in northwest Dawson County. A post office was granted on July 18, 1904; Robert B. Muldrow, the first postmaster, ran the office in his store. A Methodist church, built in 1913, served the area for some years before it was moved to the nearby community of Welch. The post office was also moved to Welch in 1934. The development of nearby oilfields stimulated growth in the area, and Pride reported a population of eighty and three businesses in 1947. Lack of major highways or railroads and a slowing oil market contributed to the town's decline. In 1980 county maps gave the location of Pride but showed no businesses.

Matthew Clay Lindsey, The Trail of Years in Dawson County (Fort Worth: Wallace, 1958?).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Pride, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pride-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Pride
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378908
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Dawson County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.93731710°
  • Longitude: -102.07766860°