Providence, TX (Hardin County)


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: June 1, 1995


Providence is on Farm Road 420 a mile east of U.S. Highway 69/287 and forty miles north of Beaumont in north central Hardin County. It was established around 1830 by Anglo-American settlers; other homeseekers arrived during the Republic period. The area proved attractive to early settlers because it was not part of the dense Big Thicket that covers much of Hardin County. A church, a cemetery, and a few scattered dwellings still remained in 1985.

Aline House, Big Thicket: Its Heritage (San Antonio: Naylor, 1967).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Providence, TX (Hardin County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/providence-tx-hardin-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995

Place
Providence
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1365812
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hardin County
Associated Names

-Hill

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.44159650°
  • Longitude: -94.35046930°