Providence, TX (Polk County)


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Providence is at the junction of State Highway 146 and Farm Road 1988, four miles southeast of Livingston and seventy miles north of Houston in southwestern Polk County. Early residents included Isham, Riley, and Wiley Peebles. The community was originally known as the Henry County settlement, since many of the earliest settlers had come from Henry County, Alabama. By 1858 a Baptist church was organized, as was the Providence school. Providence became a rural community in which most residents were employed in cotton or truck farming. The West Lumber Company also established a lumber camp at Providence about 1920. In the mid-1980s a number of persons remained at Providence, some of whom commuted to Livingston. In 2000 the population was 350.

Emma Haynes, The History of Polk County (MS, Sam Houston Regional Library, Liberty, Texas, 1937; rev. ed. 1968). A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Providence, TX (Polk County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/providence-tx-polk-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Providence
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1365811
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Polk County
Associated Names

Camp-

-Camp

Henry County Settlement

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.66547620°
  • Longitude: -94.89382180°
Population Counts
People Year
350 2009