Pulliam, TX


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995


Pulliam, on U.S. Highway 87 north of the North Concho River in northwest Tom Green County, was a station on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. It was apparently named for the family of M. B. Pulliam, a San Angelo rancher. The local school had twenty-seven pupils and one teacher by 1900, two teachers by 1930, and an average daily attendance of twenty-one in 1933. In the 1980s an abandoned railroad station remained at the townsite, and the combined Grape Creek-Pulliam School and the Pulliam oilfield were nearby.

Julia Grace Bitner, The History of Tom Green County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1931). Clarence George Parsons, Proposed Plan for the Reorganization of the Schools in Tom Green County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1939). San Angelo Standard Times, May 3, 1934.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Pulliam, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/pulliam-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 1, 1995

Place
Pulliam
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Tom Green County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.55019900°
  • Longitude: -100.55026600°