Quigley, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Quigley was on the Orange and Northwestern Railway in southern Jasper County. C. E. Slade established a logging camp there shortly after reaching an agreement with the Miller-Link Company to log his land in Jasper and Newton counties in 1905. With a tram railroad easing access to the heavily wooded area, the camp shipped up to twenty-four cars of logs per day and had a population of 150. The Slade camp was abandoned in 1909, but the Allison-Barclay Lumber Company of Call built a new sawmill at Quigley in 1924. Although the mill had a daily capacity of 10,000 board feet, it was removed three years later. Quigley is no longer shown on county highway or United States Geological Survey maps.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Quigley, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/quigley-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Quigley
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jasper County