Henry Raguet, early Nacogdoches merchant and member of the Committee of Vigilance and Safety, son of James Michael and Ann (Wynkoop) Raguet, was born on February 11, 1796, in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. He served in the war of 1812, was discharged in Philadelphia in 1814, and soon moved with his wife, née Marcia Ann Towers, to Cincinnati, Ohio. There Raguet was in business for some time and was elected a director of the Bank of the United States in 1827. His business failed, however, and after his discharge from bankruptcy, probably in February 1833, he made a trip to New Orleans, Louisiana, where he became acquainted with Sam Houston and John M. Durst, who induced him to make a trip with them to Texas. They reached Nacogdoches sometime in March 1833, and Raguet accompanied Durst to his ranch home on the Angelina River. After deciding to make his home in Texas, he returned to Ohio by way of Vicksburg, Mississippi, where he made the acquaintance of a struggling young merchant, William G. Logan, to whom he described Texas in such glowing colors that Logan also decided to move to Texas. The Raguet and Logan families proceeded together to Nacogdoches, where the firm of Logan and Raguet began its mercantile business. On December 10, 1835, Raguet was appointed treasurer of the Nacogdoches Committee of Vigilance and Safety; later he was chairman. On February 9, 1837, he was appointed postmaster of Nacogdoches. He retired in 1852 and continued to live in Nacogdoches until 1873, then moved to Marshall. He died there on December 8, 1877, and was buried there.