George Perry Rains, physician and soldier, son of Mercer and Nancy Texas (Arnett) Rains, was born in Marshall, Texas, on September 18, 1872. He received his early education at Mrs. Maulding's Private School and at Marvin Chapel. He subsequently attended the University of Texas, where he received his A.B. degree in 1893 and his M.D. in 1895. After an internship at John Sealy Hospital in Galveston, he studied medicine at the University of Pennsylvania and received a second M.D. degree in 1897. He returned to Marshall and served for a time as surgeon at Texas and Pacific Hospital before entering private practice. On April 26, 1899, he married Norma Pitts. On December 31, 1890, Rains enlisted as a private in the Marshall Light Infantry. He served on the Mexican border in the years before World War I, and in that war he was colonel of the Third Texas Infantry, commanding officer of the Thirty-sixth Military Police, and commanding officer of the Sixty-first Pioneer Infantry. He was commanding officer of Camp Sheridan, Alabama, from February to April 1919. He subsequently was in command of the 144th Infantry Regiment, the Seventy-second Infantry Brigade, and the Thirty-sixth Infantry Division. On September 1, 1936, he retired from the national guard with the rank of lieutenant general and was made honorary life president of the Thirty-sixth Division. Rains served as chairman of the board of Marshall National Bank, vice president of the Memorial Hospital Board, trustee of East Texas Baptist College, and director of the Marshall and Sabine Railroad. He was an honorary member of the Texas Medical Association, a member of the Military Surgeons Association, and a director of Kahn Memorial Hospital and the Harrison County Red Cross. In 1937 he was president of the Harrison County Medical Society. He was also a member of the Marshall City Commission, the Rotary Club, and the Elks Lodge. He was a Mason and a deacon of the First Baptist Church of Marshall. Rains died in Marshall on September 19, 1955, and was buried at Greenwood Cemetery. In 1970 the Texas Historical Commission placed a marker at his grave.