Lawrence Ramey, soldier and member of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, was born in New York about 1801. He came to Texas as early as the spring of 1825, when he brought Austin a letter from Kinchen Holliman. The census of 1826 listed Ramey as a carpenter, a single man, aged between twenty-five and forty. He received title to a sitio of land in what is now Matagorda County on May 23, 1827. His house was designated a polling place for colonial elections in December 1829 and August and November 1830. In March 1831 he was comisario for the Bay Prairie and lower Colorado area and was an ex officio member of the board of health of the district. He was a client of William B. Travis in September and October 1833. Ramey fought at the battle of San Jacinto as a private under James Gillaspie in the Sixth Infantry, Second Regiment, Texas Volunteers. On February 15, 1838, he received a bounty warrant for 320 acres for his service from March 1 to May 30, 1836, and an additional 320 acres for his service from July 1 to September 30, 1836. He was patented 320 acres in Menard County in February 20, 1882. Ramey was living in Matagorda County as late as 1850. On September 21, 1857, Ransom D. Huff was awarded 213 acres in Montague County as Ramey's assignee.