Ramsey, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: June 1, 1995

Updated: January 14, 2021


Ramsey, also known as Ramsey's Point, Nigh, and Ramseyville, is on Farm Road 102 and the Southern Pacific line six miles northwest of Eagle Lake in east central Colorado County. The community, possibly named for Martin D. Ramsey, an early settler in the area, was originally called Ramsey's Point. In 1883 the Ramsey's Point school served eighteen Black pupils. The community became a station on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway in the late 1880s. By 1896 the town had the Ramsey White school with twenty-three pupils. When a post office was opened in the community in 1916, it was called Ramseyville; the office closed the next year. By the 1930s the town was once again designated Ramsey, and in 1939 it comprised a business and twenty inhabitants. In 1981 Ramsey consisted of a number of scattered dwellings, and in 1990 it was still named on state highway maps.

Colorado County Historical Commission, Colorado County Chronicles from the Beginning to 1923 (2 vols., Austin: Nortex, 1986).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Ramsey, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ramsey-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995
January 14, 2021

Place
Ramsey
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378929
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Colorado County
Associated Names

's Point

-ville

Nigh

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.65384780°
  • Longitude: -96.40135650°