Ratibor, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Ratibor is on Ratibor Branch just west of the intersection of Farm roads 2086 and 2904, seven miles east of Temple in eastern Bell County. It was founded by Czechs around 1900 and was named for the town of Ratibor in Czechoslovakia. Lost Prairie School, which was located in the community, had thirty-nine pupils and one teacher in 1903. In 1933 the population was estimated at ten, and the community had four businesses. By 1940 Ratibor had eighty inhabitants, but it declined after World War II to a population of twenty in 1964 and ten in 1990. The population remained at ten in 2000.

Temple Daily Telegram, April 17, 1936.
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Czechs
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Ratibor, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ratibor-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Ratibor
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380413
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bell County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.08740210°
  • Longitude: -97.21249840°
Population Counts
People Year
22 2009