Rawlins, TX

By: Matthew Hayes Nall

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Rawlins was at the intersection of State Highway 342 and Donlee Road, at the site of present Lancaster, twelve miles south of Dallas in south central Dallas County. It was on the land grant of Roderick Rawlins, who settled in the area before 1848. Rawlins secured a post office in 1890 and reported a population of fifty in 1896. In the early 1900s the community served as a stop on the Texas Electric Railroad. The Rawlins post office was discontinued in 1901.

Places:

  • Communities
  • North Texas
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Matthew Hayes Nall, “Rawlins, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 05, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rawlins-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading