Rayford, TX


By: Will Branch

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995


Rayford was located in south Montgomery County on the Missouri Pacific line one mile east of Interstate Highway 45, one mile north of the Harris county line, and eleven miles south of Conroe, the county seat. The town had a post office from 1915 until 1925. In 1948 Rayford had a railroad switch, a school, a church, and a small collection of houses on the International-Great Northern Railroad. In 1979 several oil wells and a church were located within a half mile of the old town center. Extensive development was shown between Rayford and Tamina 3½ miles to the north. The subdivisions of Rayford Forest and Spring Hills now occupy much of the site. The name Rayford was preserved in the name of the road that passes the old townsite and in the names of area businesses. No population figures for the town were available.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Will Branch, “Rayford, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rayford-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 1, 1995

Place
Rayford
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378936
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Montgomery County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.12743910°
  • Longitude: -95.42799400°