James Hervey Raymond, civil servant and soldier, was born in Granville, New York, on June 30, 1817, the son of William R. and Mary (Kellogg) Raymond. At the age of fifteen he ran away to Cincinnati, where he became a store clerk. He returned to New York in 1836 and clerked there until the late summer of 1839, when he moved to Texas. After sojourning for a few months in Natchez, Raymond arrived in Galveston on July 12, 1840. He stopped briefly in Houston, then walked to Franklin, in Robertson's colony, where he found employment as a surveyor. A proposed survey of the upper Brazos was canceled due to an Indian raid, however, so Raymond accompanied George W. Hill, then a member of the legislature, to Austin. On Hill's recommendation, Raymond was appointed journal clerk of the House of Representatives. In April 1841 President Mirabeau B. Lamar appointed him acting treasurer, and in November he was appointed clerk of the House, a position he maintained until annexation in 1845. In 1842 Raymond participated in the repulse of both the Rafael Vásquez and Adrián Woll expeditions. In 1844 he was appointed treasurer of the Republic of Texas, and the next year he was secretary of the committee that framed the Constitution of 1845. That year he also married Margaret Johnston of Troy, Ohio. In 1846 he was appointed chief clerk of the House of Representatives of the First Legislature but resigned early in the session to become treasurer of the State of Texas; he served from February 24, 1846, until August 2, 1858. In 1860 Raymond entered the banking business in Austin with the firm of John M. Swisher and Company, which in 1861 became Raymond and Swisher and in 1868 Raymond and White. Raymond served as a commissioner supervising the construction of what is now Texas A&M University. He was an active Episcopalian. He died on October 30, 1897, and was buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Austin. He was the brother of Charles H. Raymond.