Red Bluff, TX (San Saba County)


By: Alice Gray Upchurch

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Red Bluff was a stage stop and ferry landing nine miles east of San Saba on the Colorado River in San Saba County. On April 1, 1875, Stephen M. Lewis became postmaster of an office that operated until May 20, 1878. By 1882 the ferry approaches were in disrepair, and a bridge was built. Construction of later bridges north of Red Bluff caused further decline in the settlement.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Alice Gray Upchurch, “Red Bluff, TX (San Saba County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/red-bluff-tx-san-saba-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Red Bluff
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Saba County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.20294540°
  • Longitude: -98.56948390°