Red Branch, TX (Trinity County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: September 1, 1995


Red Branch, a rural community off State Highway 19 sixteen miles west of Groveton in extreme northwestern Trinity County, grew up around a school for African-American children. The school was established prior to 1896, when it had one teacher and an enrollment of forty-one. During the 1930s Red Branch had the school and a number of houses. The school was consolidated with Trinity schools in 1938, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area. No population estimates were available.

Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Red Branch, TX (Trinity County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/red-branch-tx-trinity-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

September 1, 1995

Loading