Red Hill, TX (Cass County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Red Hill is at the junction of State Highway 8 and Farm Road 995, eight miles north of Linden in central Cass County. It was named by William Lambert, an early settler, for the red, clayey bank of Frazier's Creek, upon which it is located. A post office operated there from 1878 until 1905. The town was probably at its peak in 1884, when lumbering and livestock were the principal resources; that year it had saw and grist mills, three churches, a district school, and a population estimated at 130. By 1890 most of the businesses had moved to points along the rail lines, and the population of the town had fallen to thirty. Throughout the twentieth century the population of the community has fluctuated between twenty and forty. In 1983 Red Hill had a town hall, two businesses, and an estimated population of twenty. The population estimate remained the same in 1990. By 2000 the population was twenty-eight.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Red Hill, TX (Cass County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/red-hill-tx-cass-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Red Hill
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378941
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cass County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.12318400°
  • Longitude: -94.37130550°
Population Counts
People Year
28 2009