Red Lawn, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Red Lawn is on U.S. Highway 69 eight miles south of Rusk in south central Cherokee County. The area was first settled before the Civil War, but a community did not begin to grow up until 1891, when the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway was built and Red Lawn became a station on the line. Around 1900 L. L. Cole operated a general store there, and J. A. Willis had a cotton gin. In 1940 Red Lawn had a school, a church, three businesses, and a population of seventy. The school and the businesses closed after World War II, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area.

Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986). Hattie Joplin Roach, A History of Cherokee County (Dallas: Southwest, 1934).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Red Lawn, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/red-lawn-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Red Lawn
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cherokee County
Associated Names

Redlawn