Redwine, TX


By: Jeanne F. Lively

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 1, 1995


Redwine is located in southeastern Lynn County at the intersection of Farm roads 1054 and 3332, three miles northwest of Stewart Lake on the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos. It receives mail from Tahoka. The farming community was named for M. M. Redwine, a Confederate veteran and native of Georgia, who filed on land and settled with his family on a ranch southeast of Tahoka in 1903. Redwine donated land for a school, and in 1913 he and his family moved to Tahoka. As late as 1948 Redwine had a church, a school, and a population of ten; no population figures for Redwine were available in 1990. A cemetery remains at the site.

Frank P. Hill and Pat Hill Jacobs, Grassroots Upside Down: A History of Lynn County, Texas (Austin: Eakin Press, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Jeanne F. Lively, “Redwine, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/redwine-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 1, 1995

Place
Redwine
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Lynn County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.06394600°
  • Longitude: -101.66722400°