Remlig, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Remlig was northeast of Browndell and ninety miles north of Beaumont in extreme northeastern Jasper County. Alexander Gilmer, who owned land in both Sabine and Jasper counties, completed the mill at Remlig in 1905. A post office was established that same year. By 1907 the Gilmer Lumber Company had established 2½ miles of tram roads in Jasper County, linking Gilmer's mill at Remlig with the logging camps in the area. With miscellaneous property totalling well over $100,000 by 1910, the Gilmer operation had become one of the largest businesses in the county. As the timber stands were cut out, however, operations slowed, and the Gilmer Lumber Company at Remlig closed in 1926. The post office discontinued service the same year, and the Remlig voting precinct was combined with that at Browndell. The old mill town does not appear on topographic or highway maps of the 1980s.

Hamilton Pratt Easton, History of the Texas Lumbering Industry (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1947).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Remlig, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/remlig-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Remlig
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jasper County
Associated Names

Gilmerville

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.14884200°
  • Longitude: -93.92091400°