Reynard, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Reynard, on Farm Road 2544 fourteen miles northwest of Crockett in western Houston County, was established around 1900. A post office opened there in 1901, and by 1905 the settlement had two general stores, a cotton gin and mill, and a church. The post office closed in 1907, but the community continued to prosper; in the mid-1930s it comprised a church, two schools, and a store. After World War II many of the residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s only a church and a number of widely scattered houses remained. In the early 1990s Reynard was a dispersed rural community. In 2000 the population was seventy-five.

Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Reynard, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/reynard-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Loading