William D. Reynolds, rancher, son of Barber Watkins and Anna Marie (Campbell) Reynolds, was born in Montgomery, Alabama, on April 22, 1846. The family moved to Texas in 1847 and settled first in Shelby County but moved to Palo Pinto County in 1859. In 1867 Reynolds began working as a cowboy for Charles Goodnight and Oliver Loving. He was on the cattle drive to Colorado on which Loving was killed by Indians and was one of the party detailed to take Loving's body back to Weatherford. In 1868 William D. and his brother George Thomas Reynolds combined to form the Reynolds Land and Cattle Company, which established the Long X and the Rock Pile ranches. Because of a drought in 1876 the stock was moved to Roberts County, and much of it sold to Goodnight. The brothers returned to Fort Griffin and later restocked their ranches. In 1883 he moved to Albany, where he entered real estate and banking businesses. He moved to Fort Worth in 1904 but continued to operate his ranches in Jeff Davis, Borden, and Scurry counties and to act as president of the Reynolds Cattle Company's holdings in Haskell, Shackelford, and Throckmorton counties. In 1871 Reynolds married Susie A. Matthews of Albany, Texas; they were the parents of eight children. He died in Fort Worth on January 4, 1929.