Rice Chapel, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Rice Chapel, also known as Rice, was on State Highway 31 four miles northeast of Crockett in east central Houston County. It was established some time before 1900 and named for an early church. In the mid-1930s the small community had a church, a school, a cemetery, a store, and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s only a cemetery and a few widely scattered houses remained in the area.

Houston County Cemeteries (Crockett, Texas: Houston County Historical Commission, 1977; 3d ed. 1987).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Rice Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/rice-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Loading