Richland Creek, TX


By: Alice Gray Upchurch

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Richland Creek, a settlement on the west side of the mouth of Richland Springs Creek (formerly known as Richland Creek) in western San Saba County, was headquarters for surveyors and rangers in 1847 and was intended to be the county seat. An influx of Indians into the county that year caused the temporary abandonment of the settlement. After its reestablishment Richland Creek became the county seat but later lost the position to San Saba in a special election on July 19, 1855. There is no record of a community center or business activity at the site in the twentieth century.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Alice Gray Upchurch, “Richland Creek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/richland-creek-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Richland Creek
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Saba County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.22405620°
  • Longitude: -98.78837730°