Richland, TX (Hopkins County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Richland was on Farm Road 69 near the banks of Richland Creek six miles east of Sulphur Springs in east central Hopkins County. The small community was centered around a Baptist Church organized in a brush arbor in 1869 with eighteen members. A public school was operating after the turn of the century and in 1905 had an enrollment of ninety-six. In 1948 the community had the Baptist church, a cemetery, a store, a school, and a few scattered houses. The store later closed, and by 1952 the school had been consolidated with the Sulphur Springs school district. In the late 1980s only the church and cemetery still remained.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Richland, TX (Hopkins County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/richland-tx-hopkins-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Loading