The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Richmond Telescope


The Richmond Telescope, a weekly newspaper, was first issued by David L. Wood on April 27, 1839. William W. Bell, who took over as publisher by June 3, 1839, changed the date of publication from Saturday to Wednesday, and the name became Richmond Telescope and Texas Miscellaneous Register. Wood called the paper the Richmond Telescope and Texas Literary Register when he wrote Mirabeau B. Lamar on June 12, 1839, that he intended to give up his interest in the paper. By August 21, J. H. Parkerson was assistant editor. Sidney S. Callendar was in control of the paper for a time, and Nicholas D. P. Maillard became associate editor on March 17, 1840. The paper indicated little interest in politics and took no definite stand on candidates; according to its own prospectus it was devoted to literature, agriculture, commerce, and foreign and domestic news. It probably suspended operation in April 1840.

Joe B. Frantz, Newspapers of the Republic of Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Charles Adams Gulick, Jr., Harriet Smither, et al., eds., The Papers of Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar (6 vols., Austin: Texas State Library, 1920–27; rpt., Austin: Pemberton Press, 1968). WPA Historical Records Survey Program, Texas Newspapers (Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1941).


  • Journalism
  • Newspapers

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Richmond Telescope,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 29, 2020,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.