Ricker (possibly also known as Steepe Creek or Stepp's Creek after a local stream) was a railroad station on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway six miles east of Brownwood in southeastern Brown County. Reportedly settled around 1877 by the T. D. Harris family, the community received a post office called Ricker in 1887 and by 1890 had a general store. The post office was closed in 1892 or 1893. In the mid-1930s the community had a few dwellings scattered near the railway station and was probably served by a school about a mile north on U.S. Highway 84. By the 1980s Ricker no longer appeared on highway maps, though a church called Stepps Creek was located a mile north of the site.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Rachel Jenkins, “Ricker, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 17, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ricker-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.