Ringwood Female Seminary, at Boston, Texas, was opened in 1844 by Mrs. Eliza B. Todd. Enrollment increased from forty-five to 100 in the first year of operation. The school, established for the daughters of wealthy planters, offered work ranging from elementary subjects to the first year of college, with special emphasis on French. In 1848 the seminary was moved to Clarksville, where it was called Clarksville Female Institute. In 1854 Mrs. Todd sold the institution to John Anderson , who conducted it under the name Clarksville Male and Female Academy.