Ripley, TX [#2] (Titus County)

By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: June 1, 1995


Ripley, about six miles northwest of Mount Pleasant and very near the Bridges Chapel community in northwestern Titus County, was originally called Sand Town because of the generally sandy soil in the area. It was renamed Ripley when its post office was established in 1872. Ripley at one time had a gin, gristmill, and store, but began to decline in the late 1800s. Its post office closed in 1906, and by 1914 it had ceased to exist as a named community.

Traylor Russell, History of Titus County (2 vols., Waco: Morrison, 1965, 1966; rpt., n.p.: Walsworth, 1975).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Ripley, TX [#2] (Titus County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 09, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ripley-tx-2-titus-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995

Loading