B. Risher and E. M. B. Sawyer were operating mail lines in Texas in 1858 and by 1860, when the firm was joined by C. K. Hall, controlled sixteen of the thirty-one passenger and mail lines in the state, employed more than 300 men, and used over 1,000 mules and horses in their operations in Texas and Louisiana. C. K. Hall became collector of customs at Galveston before July 4, 1868, but retained his interest in the company. By 1871 ownership of the lines was divided. Sawyer, operating under his own name, had four lines. Risher and Hall operated seven lines: Brenham to Austin, Columbus to La Grange, Columbus to San Antonio, Victoria to San Antonio, Victoria to Austin, Austin to San Antonio, and Austin to Waco. Five of the lines operated on a triweekly schedule; the other two lines operated daily.