River Oaks is an incorporated residential community on State Highway 183 within the western boundary of Fort Worth in west central Tarrant County. In 1941 the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce deeded to the federal government 1,450 acres to construct a plant in which to build B-24 bombers, and to build a landing field, which would become Carswell Air Force Base. Construction began in April of that year; also that year local residents voted to incorporate their community. The construction of the air base, which was activated by the Army in 1942, became the catalyst for community development. River Oaks had a population of 2,000 by the end of the 1940s. During the 1950s water and sewer systems were completed, streets were paved, and a library was built. In 1960 the population of River Oaks surpassed 8,000. The dramatic population increase was due to the increased activity at Carswell and to the arrival of the General Dynamics Corporation in the Fort Worth area. For the next few decades the population level remained above 8,000. During the 1980s, however, the number of residents dropped, probably as a result of decreased activity at the air base and the decline in defense contracts received by General Dynamics. In 1989 River Oaks had an estimated 7,740 residents, and in 1990 it reported 6,580. In 2000 the population was 6,985.