Riverdale, TX


By: Craig H. Roell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Riverdale was in western Goliad County. The residences, a store, a school, and a seasonal industry, probably a cotton gin, were on a bend in the San Antonio River ten miles west of Goliad. The name Riverdale also applied to a station on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad located eight miles to the south near U.S. Highway 59. Fifty people were living in the community in the 1930s and 1940s, but no population figures are listed after 1950. In 1984 neither the railroad station nor the community was designated on the county highway map. The Riverdale oilfield now identifies the river bend area.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Craig H. Roell, “Riverdale, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/riverdale-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Riverdale
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380443
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Goliad County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.67304500°
  • Longitude: -97.54360660°