Roach, TX (Cass County)


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Roach is six miles northeast of Linden in eastern Cass County. It was probably named for the family of Dr. J. Roach, a Cass County physician. A post office was operated in the community from 1898 until 1904 with James O'Rear as postmaster. In 1936 the community consisted of two churches and widely scattered houses. In 1983 it had one church and widely scattered houses. In 2000 the population was fifty.

Wright Patman, History of Post Offices-First Congressional District of Texas (Texarkana, Texas, 1946?).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Roach, TX (Cass County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/roach-tx-cass-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Roach
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378961
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cass County
Associated Names

O'Rear's Mill

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.06957540°
  • Longitude: -94.27185660°
Population Counts
People Year
50 2009