Robbins's Ferry, on the Old San Antonio Road at the Thomas's Ford crossing of the Trinity River in western Houston County, was established in 1821 by Joel Leakey. It was named for ferryman and owner Nathaniel Robbins and acquired in 1847 by his son-in-law Elisha Clapp, who operated the ferry until his death in 1856. Under Clapp's direction the ferry's name was changed to Clapp's Ferry. His descendants operated the ferry until 1930, when Clapp's Ferry Bridge was built. The Texas Centennial Commission recognized the site and Clapp in 1936 with an official granite gravestone.