Roberts, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Roberts was 17½ miles south of Greenville in southern Hunt County. It was settled when the North East branch of the Texas Central Railroad purchased land from Governor Oran. M. Roberts in 1882. Two years later a post office branch opened. By the early 1890s there were an estimated 150 residents and several businesses in Roberts. This early prosperity, however, was not maintained, and the population began to decline. In 1899 the post office closed, and shortly thereafter the community ceased to exist.

W. Walworth Harrison, History of Greenville and Hunt County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Roberts, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/roberts-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Roberts
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hunt County
Associated Names

Quinlan

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.88974600°
  • Longitude: -96.13334200°