William Roberts, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, was living on the lower Brazos River on May 1, 1824, when Josiah H. Bell assembled Austin's colonists to take an oath of allegiance to the Mexican government. On July 8, 1824, Roberts received title to a sitio of land now in Brazoria County. The census of March 1826 classified him as a farmer and stock raiser aged over fifty. He had a wife, Peggy, a grown son, and one servant.
The William Roberts who received land for service in the Texas Revolution may have been Roberts's son. One William Roberts who located in the Austin colony was a native of Virginia and had his character certificate signed at San Augustine on November 25, 1834. According to some sources, William Roberts died about 1836 in San Augustine. Another William Roberts immigrated into the Nacogdoches District in 1826. The William E. Roberts who went with a Galveston County company on a campaign against the Comanche Indians in 1839 may have been a son of the original colonist.