James Harvey Robertson, attorney, politician, and judge, son of J. R. and Mary (Hunt) Robertson, was born in Roane County, Tennessee, on May 2, 1853. He followed his brother, John W. Robertson, to Austin, Texas, in June 1874 and was admitted to the bar in 1875. He married Susie Marsh Townsend of Austin; they had six children. In September 1876 Robertson established a law practice at Round Rock, and in 1882 he represented Williamson County in the House of the Eighteenth Legislature. In 1884 he returned to Austin, where he became district attorney of Travis County, a post he held until 1890. James Stephen Hogg appointed him district judge in May 1891; Robertson resigned the judgeship in 1895 and worked as Hogg's law partner until 1902. From 1907 to 1911 he represented Travis County in the House of the Thirtieth, Thirty-first, and Thirty-second legislatures. He was author of the Robertson Insurance Law, which required insurance companies doing business in Texas to invest 75 percent of their reserve in the state. He died on March 2, 1912.